Tying the Student Dry Fly
The Student is a fly pattern popularized on the Bighorn River. It isn't much to look at, but like the F-Fly this simple CDC (Cul de Canard) dry fly catches its share of fish. Tie some up for the Baetis Hatch on your trout stream or river, you will be glad you did. This pattern can be altered to match other mayfly species by changing the thread color and hook size.
Student Fly Tying MaterialsPurchase materials to tie the Student on our webstore
- Hook: Daiichi 1100 or Tiemco 100 Size 18-22
- Thread: UTC 70 Denier Olive
- Tail: Natrual Dun or Medium Dun CDC Cul de Canard Fibers
- Abdomen: UTC 70 Denier Olive
- Wing: Natrual Dun or Medium Dun CDC Cul de Canard Fibers