Vanilla Bugger Fly Tying Video
Posted on September 09 2014
The Vanilla Bugger is a popular variation of the woolly bugger. The light body color with the dark barring of the badger hackle makes an irresistible combination to hungry trout.
Tying the Vanilla Bugger
The Vanilla Bugger is a very popular streamer originated on the North Platte River in Wyoming by Mark Boname. Here the Vanilla Bugger is tied with sparkle yarn. This pattern has proved effective on many rivers, including the Bighorn River in Montana.
Vanilla Bugger Fly Tying Materials
- Hook: Daiichi 2220 or Daiichi 1710 for shorter shank
- Bead/Conehead: Black Nickel Conehead sized to match hook
- Weight: Lead Wire - this is optional
- Thread: UTC 140 denier Tan
- Tail: Marabou Blood Quill Sand Color
- Flash: 2 strands root beer krystal flash to either side of tail
- Hackle: Whiting Golden Badger Bugger Hackle
- Body: Sand color Sparkle Yarn or Cream Furry Foam